Pescador Sport 10.0Learn More
How Can I Retrofit My Touring Kayak With Bulkheads?
Many touring boat manufacturers use minicell foam to fabricate bulkheads. This is a fairly inexpensive and effective method of retrofitting bulkheads in a boat that didn't originally come with them.
For current models, simply ask your dealer to order the respective pre-cut minicell bulkhead(s) from us.
For discontinued models, you can fabricate bulkheads from 3" minicell foam (also available from your dealer).
- Start with a chunk of foam slightly larger than the area of the boat where you plan to install the bulkhead.
- Shape it with a serrated knife and a shaping tool (Dragonskin works well) until it fits snugly.
- Start removing foam gradually, test fit, and keep removing foam until it's just right. The better the fit, the drier your seal will be.
- Once it's the right shape, place it and seal both sides with a bead of Lexel, or a similar silicon sealant.
- If possible pull up the edges a bit to get some of the sealant between the foam and the hull.